|Exposure Mode||aperture priority|
Among the chilli plants on my study windowsill I also have a Venus Flytrap which helps keep any greenfly under control. I've owned a few of the plants before but have obviously never looked after them properly as they have all tended to die quite quickly. This time though I must be doing something right as it has decided to flower! In comparison to the violent nature of the rest of the plant the flowers are really quite delicate and I decided they were an ideal subject for practicing with the macro lens.
As you can see from this photo I setup the camera and macro lens on a a tripod (I actually used a hide clamp to bolt the post to the windowsill) and with a cable release to reduce camera movement. Once I'd worked out the composition I set about trying to get the image focused. I wanted to throw the background out of focus which meant that I wanted a fairly small aperture which in turn meant I had to be very careful with the manual focusing. In the end I figured out the aperture required and then took a whole sequence of photos at different focusing distances to ensure I got the shot. All told it took me about an hour to get one good photo, but I learnt a lot and I really like the final result.